Monday, January 29, 2007

I've been on a three-week drunk. However, nothing to worry about. I'd been so busy the first few months here trying to get normal, I forgot how much I love to drink. I'm a whiskey drinker, bourbon usually, Maker's Mark in particular, partly out of nostalgia for a professor I once admired, partly for its simple, delicious vanillas. If I have the money, it's definitely Islay single malt Scotch. Laphroaig if someone even more generous is buying. If I'm with a crowd and have no way to control the parameters of the evening, cheap beer will do: Bud Light, Red Stripe, PBR. You can drink that stuff forever and keep the next-morning regret to a minimum. But lately, it's been vodka, straight from the bottle, preferably after its been sitting in a freezer. Or on a bedroom windowsill. The hangovers aren't nearly as bad after a night of brown spirits or red wine and will kill an insomnia-attack just like that. Now that I've established my frame of mind, let's get on with it.



Last week, my Romanian writer friend Cristian tipped me off on his favorite homeland-movie of all time: 12:08 East of Bucharest, which played at the Harvard Film Archive. Cristian is like most Romanians I know: cynical yet friendly, intellectual, political, perverse, funny as hell. This movie, which focuses on the revolution of 1989, is not much different. It has the kind of comfortable filmic lethargy and ridiculousness I love, plus plenty of drinkin' and percussion-instrument playing. What I'd like to know is where they found the Chinese-Romanian actor to play the firecracker-selling Asian shopkeeper. In the realm of iconic film characters, this guy is up there with Mr. Little Jeans/Pagoda and the dancing midget in Twin Peaks. On second thought, his is way better -- more crucial to the plot and not nearly as racist/freakist. If you want to read more, check out Cristian's blog, and search under 'movies.'

7 Comments:

Blogger Lauren B. said...

Hey Claudine~
As an "aspiring magazinee" and fellow NYU j-school alum (i swear if i have to defend going to grad school for journalism one more time...), i was wondering if i could ask you some questions about your personal career path and your amazing work at Jane (interviewing techniques, writing habits, etc...) I'm actually in the process of trying to prove myself to The Powers That Be at 4 Times Square - more like waiting for that prime position to open up - and was wondering why you ended up at Jane and what you took from the experience. I realize you don't have insane amounts of free time, BUT if you could either post a comment or shoot me an email at lberger15@gmail.com, I would be forever grateful. Thanks!
~Lauren (Oh yes, and i'm a vodka girl, myself.)

1:08 AM  
Blogger Claudine Ko said...

Ask away. I'll see if I can answer in a post or if it's best to email you back.

7:01 PM  
Blogger Lauren B. said...

Claudine, thanks so much - so after you first finished up the cultural reporting and criticism program at NYU, what did you do? i know how vague that sounds, but i was wondering what you did between the time you graduated and took a position at Jane. Did you attempt freelance in ny or move elsewhere? Send out resumes to a ton of places or focus on one magazine genre (science, lifestyle, etc...) Guess it all goes back to how and why you ended up at Jane after interning at Maxim and Super Science Blue. - And how you continued to publish articles in the New York Times and Village Voice.

Also, after years of working your way up, what are your thoughts about the magazine industry (too reliant on contacts over quality? hard to leave?)

And lastly, would you consider yourself more of a Lawrence Weschler-sans-recording-devices type of reporter? Or a pad and paper (jot down a few notes) kind of girl? Just wondering about your writing process - i know different things work for different writers - but i was curious as to your habits/preferences.

Sorry to ask so much - but it's a rare opportunity and appreciate your willingness to try and answer.

1:10 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

the chick digs islay....niiice

caol ila is some good stuff too if you can find it....

laphroaig 10 is better than 16..imo..

meow

1:56 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Your're the one who wrote the infamous Jane article about Dov Charney, aren't you? How come I can't find a copy of it anywhere online?

Anyway, I heard a rumor through the grape-vine that you were actually involved with Dov in some way at some point. Is that true?

11:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My cousin recommended this blog and she was totally right keep up the fantastic work!

8:08 AM  
Blogger Claudine Ko said...

thank you! funny, because I never *really* blog anymore. but I am such a sucker for flattery...so keep an eye on my other blog: claudineko.blogspot.com

9:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home