Tuesday, December 19, 2006



How many girls do you know that fart shades of lavender? Maybe none. But you now have your chance if you go to Boston's newly opened Institute of Contemporary Art. As you approach the glass-encased front entrance, you'll see Chiho Aoshima's "Divine Gas," a giant mural of a weepy-eyed girl cutting a giant purple cheese bomb. Give yourself at least an hour to fully take it in. If you don't know much about Japan's post-war art culture, check out this article and this site. After which point, you'll think twice about describing Chiho's mural as simply as, well, I did a few sentences ago.







There are also several works by Nan Goldin, Andreas Gursky, Jeff Koons and even Yoko. Another favorite, which also happens to have post-apocalyptic imagery: 1st Light by Paul Chan, an animated shadow projection of things falling up and people flailing down. Free night at the ICA is Thursday from 5-9 p.m.

And then there's me, attempting to make my own art without getting caught by security and the no-photography rule. (That string of confusion is the Boston Harbor night lights):

4 Comments:

Blogger Ed From the Neck Up said...

Japan is a strange country post WWII. Strange land of fashions and all sorts of oddities. I'm not even going to make shit up because I know Japan has probably already beaten me to it. If only I could speak the language I would fit right in.

I still have dreams of becoming a Geisha Boy and entertaining scores of perverted businessmen in their socks.

So the picture on the wall there of the farting cutie...

Are you waiting for me to say something?

4:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How did you end up in Boston? New York isn't what it once was huh?

9:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for these photos. They are really cute. I love the idea of colored gas! And beautiful skylight eyes! And thanks for the links. It's always so nice to see something refreshing from Japan.

12:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for taking these pictures, especially the close ups :)

4:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home