Sunday, December 03, 2006

A couple months ago, I met a woman who loves seaweed. She's a marine biologist and studies the stuff. Hurricane season was just kicking in, so I mentioned I'd been spending a lot of time struggling through thick beds of kelp brought in by the heavy surf. She lit up the same way I do when anyone mentions "cheese shop" or "o-chem." Just kidding, only the first one. To be honest, I didn't really get how any person could be so infatuated with the slimy brown nuisances.

Last week, I went surfing in San Onofre, California, near the infamous "Double D" nuclear reactors, and my sister photographed these.



I'm not exactly sure what they are, only that they floated in from the vast liquid yonder. Are they seaweed? Sea sponges? Delapidated, radioactive tennis balls? Whatever they are, I love them, and if you can tell me what they are, perhaps I'll love you, too.

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wanna eat one!

12:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

those are giant bugers carried by trade winds. See the label 'made in china'.

7:10 PM  
Blogger Claudine Ko said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

7:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i think those furry green algae balls are regurgitated from sharks. --connie

11:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Connie shut your stupid mouth. Those are bugers from a shark's nose.

9:05 PM  
Blogger Duane Fernandez said...

San Onofre is rad.
The Macro function on your camera is top notch.

8:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

are those fingers coming out of the sand?

2:15 PM  
Blogger Claudine Ko said...

dude, those are toes.

7:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know what I want to eat, but it's not tennis ball fuzz...

I'm up in Newport, CK, give me a shout.

1:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was spongy and it was a toe. I was trying to give his toe a green fro, but it kept popping off.

5:15 PM  
Blogger Aaron Stewart Ahn said...

it looks like honeycomb sea sponge, but also could be one of a million types of sea vegetation. That place is polluted bad. :(

I'm sure you're fine but some types of sponges can lead to rashes.

How compact is New York that someone who edited something for me now lives in your old apartment?

10:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

they look kinda funky

3:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It looks to be a green alga in the genus Cladaphora. It can make balls as those in the image taken by your sister. Google Cladaphora and balls and you will find information.

1:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home