Saturday, July 29, 2006

Last month, as I was speeding up Broadway on my bike, there it was: my first car-door flying open into my path, milliseconds before I was destined to hit it. I remember the absurdly loud crunching noise, landing in a not good way, and feeling profoundly depressed. Two weeks before, I made a conscious decision to stop wearing my helmet -- it was cumbersome, I felt confident in my skills as a veteran city cyclist. But as I lay on my back, a crowd gathering over me yelling things like "call an ambulance," "don't move" and "are you okay?" I thought, this must be a sign. Luckily, the only thing seriously damaged was my derailleur, which fell off completely on my way to work the next morning. I escaped death/coma/concussion, but I wasn't going to take any more chances. From then on, before I'd even leave wherever I was, I'd have that sucker strapped on like Jenny Shimizu's thigh dildo.
A few weeks later, I was vigilantly pedaling up 1st Ave, in the shoulder, carefully giving myself a 4-foot buffer between parked cars on my right and traffic on my left, when suddenly I heard that crazy crunching noise again. I'd been doored, again. As my head snapped back against the asphalt, all I could think was, I'd so be dead if I wasn't wearing this helmet. I got ten stitches in my hand, whiplash, crazy hip pains, a nightmare insurance situation and blood all over my nice white shirt, but life has never been so good -- it is not uncommon for a biker to die in an accident like this. There are two obvious points here: 1. Always wear a helmet while biking, and 2) Will the car-consumers of this universe please be so kind as to look before throwing their doors open and possibly killing/maiming/emotionally-crippling another innocent being? Thanks.

4 Comments:

Blogger joetron2030 said...

Yikes! Glad to see you're OK. I have the utmost respect for people who bike in a city like that.

Also, saw bits of your appearance on Dateline late last week!

1:08 PM  
Blogger Aaron Stewart Ahn said...

I fortunately did not see your Dateline appearance. And I still buy shit from Dov Charney's company. Shit is hot.

But in all seriousness, whenever I see a bicyclist without a helmet in NY I do my curmudgeonly old man fist shake. I ride like a giant wuss in this city I'm proud to say. It has nothing to do with your own skill. It has to do with other people's total oblivious ignorance. They're the danger. And despite having a freaking lighthouse on top of my handlebars I still can't believe the number of pedestrians who walk right into my path when I'm coming at them at 20 mph. Buckle up, we love you.

(On another note, why do people never buckle their seatbelts in taxi cabs?)

7:48 AM  
Blogger fb said...

Ouch! Who designated you as a Crash Test Dummy?!

6:42 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

Ah, you have lived through my worst bike commuter fears - twice!
Glad you are OK.

4:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home