Wednesday, May 17, 2006

I'm in Dearborn, Michigan for work. Not sure what else to say. The roads are big and it's eerily quiet. It has the largest concentration of Arabs outside of the Middle East and is home to the production facilities of the Ford F-150. In fact, my hotel was built by Henry Ford and is in the middle of a block surrounded by the Ford World Headquarters, Henry Ford village and museum, and the Henry Ford Centennial Library. Some of it is protected by giant concrete walls, which adds to the strange muffled effect here. Last night, I got back to my hotel and ended up walking two miles to get away from it all and ended up at a strip mall occupied by mega chain stores. Once I got to the entrance of the parking lot, it was about another half-mile to reach the actual shops. Tonight, I found the Westborn Fruit Market (off Michigan Ave and whatever the name of this street is) where I sampled free bread and olive oil. Highly recommended if you're ever in the neighborhood. Tomorrow, I might try to go to Detroit's Forest Lawn Cemetery and look for the grave of Vincent Chin.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home