Saturday, April 29, 2006

Years ago, I wrote a Giant Robot story about karaoke where I ended up spending a lot of time at this West Village bar called Junno's. Back then, Junno (the owner) had a sort of underground karaoke thing, mainly for friends with rules like "no group singing" and that didn't get going until about 3 a.m. I'd set my alarm for 1 a.m., take a nap, and eventually head all the way downtown to sit at the bar and just watch. Sometimes I wouldn't get home until the birds were tweeting and it was bright outside. After I finished the article, Junno's became one of my regular spots. I liked that Jerry, one of the bartenders, would put on surf DVDs for me; that Junno was always fervently debating about everything from Henry Kissinger to salad dressing, and that the bar top was sky blue. Once, I even brought an already-drunk Christopher Doyle over when I interviewed him for another GR story. Last Thursday night, I ended up back there on a whim after maybe a year of absence. Jerry welcomed me by saying how fortuitous it was that I'd come -- it was their last week. They were closing on Saturday for good. Junno's having a kid and heading back to school to become a teacher, he said. I thought he might be joking until Junno came out and said it was so. He was tired, and soon after, left. So I drank my beer, listened to Jerry tell stories about his life and when the perfect song came on, paid my tab and went home. It was the Talking Heads -- "This Must be the Place."

1 Comments:

Blogger eric wang said...

Great song... perhaps the best Talking Heads song out of so many. Hey Claudine, we went to Uni High together back in the day. I'm Eric and my brother is Victor Wang. I'm not sure if you'll remember.

5:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home