Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Isn't it strange how some scientists devote all this energy to researching stuff like whether or not chimpanzees are capable of spite or altruism?



And to prove what -- that humans are the only ones that can manage these, er, sophisticated emotions? If I were a chimp caged in a lab with a collapsing table full of food strategically positioned so I couldn't reach it, the only thing I would be emoting is how screwed I was. Maybe that's the point afterall, to provide evidence on how singularly cruel and f'd up humans can be.

Or maybe it's that I'm too human.

Other cruel things on my mind as of late: switching lanes on the 405; full-time freelance writing; low-tide in Newport Beach; and the folding of my old haunt. Elaborations to come, or as we would write on magazine proofs at Jane, TK.


(The 405 in the early '70s, near Costa Mesa looking towards Irvine, aka how I wish it always flowed.)

But it can't all be bad: there's always Mozza, my new favorite L.A. restaurant. I highly recommend the bolognese, the gnocci, the grilled octopus, and every one of the cheeses. All spiteless creatures invited.

3 Comments:

Blogger F said...

Yum, Mozza is nice. Love the ambiance, too.

12:30 PM  
Blogger gr said...

You going to drop in and say hi during your stay in SoCal or what?

-mw

1:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Speaking of Chimps and altruism...

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2007/07/30/070730fa_fact_parker

9:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home